We know that the COVID-19 pandemic is causing great anxiety for many parents and families. At Third Academy, we share your concerns but recognize that we must find ways to manage the situation. We believe we must respect the virus rather than fear it. By following the recommendations of health professionals, with each of use doing our part, we will adapt to the “new normal” and become stronger and more resilient in the process.
We have implemented numerous measures to minimize the risk of transmission in our school community. For example, we have:
- Leased school space in a separate building to separate our elementary school from the junior and senior high school. Two separate locations allows us to split up into different cohorts and spread out more within each facility.
- Implemented pre-screening for all students, staff, and visitors. To enter the school one must have a temperature check at home and be checked again when boarding the school bus or entering the school. As well, a daily checklist must completed and signed to certify that the individual is symptom free.
- Requiring individuals displaying symptoms or at risk of exposure to remain at home until they have been cleared to return to school.
- Enhanced our cleaning protocol in our schools and our buses to include routing disinfection with a hospital grade sanitizing agent.
- Installed sanitizer stations at entry points, classrooms, and buses and require individuals to sanitize their hands at each location.
- Equipped student desks with shields.
- Implemented a mask policy for common areas and in classrooms when it is not possibly to physically distance.
- Providing distance education for families consider it preferable to remain at home.
- Working with Alberta Health and Alberta Education to ensure our COVID-19 protocol meets or exceeds all requirements.
- Providing instruction to our students on how to keep themselves and others safe.
- Supplying Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to our families that cannot afford to purchase it.
And much more. We have a duty to provide a safe and caring environment for our students, staff, and anyone we permit to enter our schools. Third Academy is committed to doing our best to meet our obligations during this unprecedented period. Again, we encourage all to respect the virus rather than fear it. If the pandemic is causing you stress, please talk with us. We are here to help.